Friday, July 5, 2013

Sauvie's Island Half Marathon

4th of July celebration kicked off great with a half marathon on Sauvie's Island followed by delicious strawberry shortcake!  Being pregnant, I had an out.  I could have done a run/walk.  I could have run much slower, but pushing myself has always been a part of me.  I am a competitive person.  My dad and his girlfriend joined me in the fun.  I ran with my dad for the first 7 miles at an 8:04 pace, but had to drop back a little after that.  I watch my heart rate to make sure I am not too short of breath, making sure I can keep an even breath pace.  
One thing that can help any runner is focusing on evening out their breath.  Yogis talk about the breath as if that is the most important part of the practice.  I think they are on to something.  When the nerves are high and the race officially starts, the breath goes in and out at a rapid pace from all of the excitement in the air.  My head is swirling with thoughts.  How will my pace be?  Will I be able to finish without stopping to walk?  All of a sudden, I see the first mile marker sign and think, that wasn't too bad!  12 more of those and I am at the finish line.  We round the bend and run along the Willamette river inlet.  It's so peaceful out on the river.  Memories of water skiing with my dad come flashing into my head.  I get a little smile on my face as my dad is running next to me, talking about this story or that.  This is fun!  Relax and enjoy!  We joke about how we want to get our money's worth on this race and not run too fast.  He says the same about golf.  More strokes you have, more you are getting your money's worth.  I like it.  That's when I realize, this is about enjoying my time out here on the island.  I pass by a herd of cattle, some horses, and tons of farms.  It's pure and I am enjoying every second of it now.  It's why I sign up for these races.  Being pregnant doesn't have to keep me or anyone else from doing a race.  It may have slowed me down from my normal pace a bit, but I still enjoyed my time out there.  
After we completed the race, we didn't hesitate to head right over to the strawberry shortcake tent where we wolfed it all down!  The island is known for the farms and the fresh Oregon berries.  We followed it all up with a swim in my dad's pool.  Loosened our legs to the point where my legs feel fabulous today!  I couldn't have asked for a better way to start my 4th of July celebration.  I love to exercise and feel alive with energy.... and to have a little strawberry shortcake now and then!  


No comments:

Post a Comment